Thursday, November 15, 2007

Israel - Day #3


Do you know what this is? It is a feeding trough and it's thousands of years old - I'm serious. It's also known as a manger. This is our guide Elan, explaining that this is most likely what Jesus was put in after he was born. Wood, like we see in our manger scenes, was not used as frequently as stone because it was very expensive and stone was very plentiful. Here's a thought for you... the "Bread of Life" was placed in a "feeding trough" when he was born - there's some symbolism for you.

One of my favorite things from today was sitting in a synagogue in Nazareth and reading Luke 4, beginning with verse 14. The synagogue is believed to be where Jesus actually said the words you read in Luke 4 - "The Spirit of the Lord is on me, because he has anointed me to preach good news to the poor..." All I can really say is "WOW!" I am definitely at a loss for words when it comes to explaining most of my experiences here in Israel.

3 comments:

Kristy said...

I am so glad the spirit is with you. Wish I was there

Lindsay Jo said...

Keep posting Heather!! These are GREAT! I feel like I'm there with you!!

berrytribe said...

I'm on the edge of my seat to see what you post next!! Thaks for sharing with us--AWESOME!!!